1915 Magic Lanterns and Moving Pictures

  • Magic Lantern Slide of Prairie Fire

    Magic Lanterns in the Schools

    Magic Lanterns were introduced into the public schools by 1915 where the minutes of the School Board record the purchase of one of these from the High Park Horticultural Society for use in schools. By 1923, all schools were equipped with Magic Lanterns and in 1928, the Chief Inspector’s Annual Report recorded that requisitions for slide use outnumbered the available supply.

    W.C. Hughes Co.

    Glass, paint, wood

    2012.X.055

    arrow
    Hand painted glass slide with image of field, fire in background, cowboys on horseback.