1890 Electric Lighting in Schools

  • Ad for kerosene lamps, Don't Use Electric Light!

    Let There Be Light!

    In 1879, electric lights, powered by a steam generator, were demonstrated in McConkey’s Restaurant by the Toronto Electric Light Company; an early supplier of electricity owned by Sir Henry Pellatt, builder of Casa Loma. In 1884, 50 electric street lights using the arc lighting system were installed on King, Queen, and Yonge Streets. There was growing interest in this new and wondrous invention. On May 15, 1890, the Toronto Board of Education carried a motion to connect city schools to electricity. Merchants of lamps were understandably threatened and found ingenious ways to maintain their livelihood as the advertising of the day suggests.

    Canadian Lamp Agency

    Printed paper

    TPL.14

    arrow
    Printed black ink on cream coloured paper of various fonts, 16 lines of text, double line border