1916 Central High School of Commerce Opens

  • Central High School of Commerce

    Commercial Classes Popular

    Commercial education in Toronto began in 1892 in one classroom taught by Mr. R. H. Eldon. Within ten years the programme had grown to include commercial classes at Harbord, Jarvis, and Parkdale Collegiate Institutes.
    In 1902, the commercial classes at these schools were moved to the Toronto Technical School at 149 College Street.
    In 1911, the High School of Commerce and Finance was officially established by the Toronto Board of Education, and the school moved once again to larger quarters at King Edward School. Two years later, due to increased enrollment, the school changed location a third time, to Clinton Street School.

    Photographer unknown

    Black and white photograph

    2012.X.581

    arrow
    Black and white photo of 3.5-storey brick and stone building from back corner