1890 Electric Lighting in Schools

  • Gas Lighting at Park Public School

    Early Methods of Lighting

    Before the advent of electric lights, school buildings were lit with tallow candles and coal oil lamps. In the 1880s, gas pipes and fixtures were put in the schools. Natural sunlight, however, was considered the best lighting available and buildings were constructed to take advantage of the best configurations. Windows were placed along two walls of every schoolroom. Provincial regulations cited 1:6 as the minimum ratio of lighting area to floor area in rooms where there was good exposure.

    Photographer unknown

    Black and white photograph

    2012.X.071

    arrow
    Black and white photo of school classroom, no children.