1855 The Model Schools

  • Drawing of Original Model Schools

    The "Model" School

    In 1855, three additional schools were built to accommodate the growing number of students wishing to enroll in the free schools. Architect Joseph Sheard was hired to design all three with a uniform plan and arrangement. The Toronto Board of Education proudly referred to these buildings as Model Schools and included the above sketch as the frontispiece to their Annual Reports from 1859 to 1873. The design was mistakenly labeled as Park School in the 1950 Centennial Story.

    Artist unknown

    Black and white photograph

    2012.X.077

    arrow
    Black and white photo of an original drawing of a school with children playing in grounds.