1845 Early Elementary Schools in York (Toronto)

  • Portrait of Rt. Rev. John Strachan, D.D.

    The Common (Elementary) Schools

    The 1816 Common Schools Act provided legislative support for running a common (elementary) school in each of the districts within the province. The first common school in York was completed in 1818 and was located at the corner of Adelaide and Jarvis Streets just south of the Grammar School. In 1820, the school was declared to be “discontinued” and the government grant was withheld by the District Board, of which Rev. Dr. Strachan was chair. This action forced the elected trustees and their teacher, Thomas Appleton, to resign.

    Artist unknown

    Printed paper

    2012.X.631.p15

    arrow
    Portrait painting from book of man wearing white shirt with large puffy sleeves